Monday, August 18, 2008

Give me a sign.

I've been noticing lately a lot of very odd signs as I drive to and fro. Some are hand written, some are professional. It makes me wonder how much people really think about what they are trying to say before they put it down on a sign and show it off to the world.

  • FedEx Express - Doesn't FedEx stand for Federal Express? So basically this sign (and their trucks as well) say Federal Express Express. Hmmm.

  • Odd Hours Day Care - If it is odd hours then that probably means it isn't during the day. So why not call it Odd Hours Child Care or, more appropriately, crazy people willing to take your kids into their house.

  • Pain $35 - I really don't want to pay someone $35 to give me pain. In fact, I don't want to pay anyone any amount of money to give me pain. I might even go so far as to pay someone $35 to NOT hurt me.
Those are just a few that I can remember. I will be jotting down more as I see them. Or ... send me the funny signs that you see and I'll post them!

Labels: , ,

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Long Time No See Internet ...

Hello everyone! The past few weeks have been a swarm of TV, knitting and PackRat. What is PackRat you might ask? It is a crazy addictive game on Facebook, sort of a trading card game but online. It is ridiculous but so much fun :)

This afternoon I went and got a new nose ring. I've had my nose pierced for 2 months now so it was safe to switch it out. I asked the piercing lady if she would change it out for me. She sort of looked at me a little funny, even though she told me when she pierced it that I could come back and have her change it out for me when it was time. So, I went over and laid down on the table. She took the original one out, it hurt a little bit but not too bad. Then everything changed.

There was a little scar tissue on the inside of my nose right next to the hole and she had a really hard time getting the new ring in. It hurt really bad, worse than getting it pierced in the first place! After what seemed like ages, and several attempts, she finally got the new ring in. I said to her "good thing I didn't try to do it myself huh?" to which she agreed, and was no longer thinking it was silly for me to ask her to change it out for me. Ha!

I got up and left, but all the pain left me really nauseated for quite some time. Very odd. I'm feeling better now though.

I'm ready for Memorial Day on Monday! We are having some people over to swim and cook out. Keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't rain ...

I hope everyone has a great holiday, stay safe!!

Labels: ,

Saturday, April 5, 2008

I Love Threadless!

Lately I've been all over and bought a few awesome new t-shirts ... I think I'm a little bit addicted :) Here are the ones I am sporting now:
Cookie Loves Milk
Cookie Loves Milk
Nice Boobies
Nice Boobies
They're, Their, There
They're, Their, There
Sock Battle
Sock Battle
Refrigerator Running
Refrigerator Running
We're on the Same Level
We're on the Same Level
Loch Ness Imposter
Loch Ness Imposter

Labels: ,

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Blog Update

I'm sure nobody noticed, at least while I was working on it :) but I just widened the main column of the blog so that I can post bigger pictures. I wasn't able to post anything but small ones, lest they get cut off! So I fixed that!

I'm about to leave for my Thursday night Knitting/Crochet Group! I love this time with my friends. And I might just finish my socks sometime this year, hahaha!

Have a great evening everyone ...

Labels: , ,

Friday, March 7, 2008

My Goodness

It's been a while huh? Sorry bout that ...

I've had quite the crazy past 2 weeks. I am not typically an overly busy person. So last week when I had 2 doctor's appointments, a nail appointment, people coming to switch us from dsl/satellite to cable - and of course brought the wrong equipment so they had to come back another day, a whole lot of work because of a big site update, my regular sit & knit and then a vacation day on friday I thought I was doing pretty good since I hadn't had a complete breakdown by the end of it all.

That's what I get for trying to be a busy person.

I was gone all weekend with my friends on a knitting retreat. It was a blast, but not a lot of sleep was had :). Monday morning I had to be at work by 6:45 for said site update. I got there and everything went fine ... until about 10am when I started falling asleep at my desk. I was going to be leaving at noon anyway because of a dentist appointment, so I left early and went home to nap for a bit before getting my teeth cleaned. Then Tuesday was voting day here in Texas, so after work I headed over to vote - which took an hour! There were so many people there ... after that I went out to dinner with the hubby to celebrate his accomplishment of getting A+ certified. I woke up at 2am on Wednesday with the most horrible sore throat ever. So I stayed home from work and rested. Yesterday I got up and went to work ... a little kooky from Sudafed, but alright. THEN IT STARTED SNOWING. Actual snow. Huge flakes. So we left work at 3:30pm.

Now it is Friday and there is still snow on the ground, but the roads don't seem to be too bad. I'm about to head in for hopefully (well not really) a full day of work. On the opposite end of the spectrum, it is supposed to hit almost 70 this weekend. No wonder I've been feeling sick.

I think I've learned my lesson about trying to do too much. I'm going back to my quiet life now.

p.s. 15 days til my birthday!

Labels: , ,

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Where did that come from?!

This morning when I left for work it was balmy and about 79 degrees. It became a little more muggy mid morning, so weird for February. Even in Texas. When I left work at 5:15pm it was COLD. You know, cold for here. So, like 50 and really windy. That's crazy - 30 degree drop!

In other news, I've started crocheting my Sweater Coat - yay! I hope to post pictures soon (when it starts to look like something other than a couple of rows! OK, off to work on it.

Labels: , ,

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Cedar Fever

I have Cedar Fever. What is that you ask? It's horrrrrriiiibbbbbbllllleeeeeee allergies! To the Juniper tree here in Texas. I never had allergy problems until about 8 years ago when I moved to Austin from Fort Worth. The Cedar is reallllly bad down there. I thought when I moved back up here it would go away. Yeah, not so much. What does Cedar Fever feel like? Well ... itchy watery eyes, a terribly itchy throat that can't be scratched, large amounts of snot and sneezing like its going out of style. Seriously, I am averaging about 15ish sneezes a day. I'm not usually a multiple sneezer, you know, those people that ALWAYS sneeze 3 times in a row or whatever. That's not typically me. Unless Cedar is involved. I'm pretty much sneezing at least 2 times in a row if not 3 or 4. Lots of fun. And before you even ask, yes. I take allergy medicine. Every day. And no, it doesn't help. I just wanted to share, and let you know that if you are so lucky as to not suffer from Cedar Fever, you should thank the stars every single day.

Labels: ,

Monday, January 28, 2008

Really I'm Just Nosey

Today during lunch I went to the local Super Target to wander around. I meandered here and there and got a couple of silly things, like some Sharpie markers and Valentine's Day Peanut M&M's. I went to the checkout and put my things on the counter. A minute or two later, a lady comes up behind me and places her items on the conveyor belt - there was a divider between our things. I'm a pretty nosey person, so I look to see what she is purchasing ...

  • 1 box of clemetines
  • 1 pound of ground beef
  • 2 blue candles
  • 13 cans of fancy feast cat food
  • 1 container of fresh mushrooms
  • 1 bottle of clorox bleach
  • 1 jar of green olives with pimentos stuck in them
Am I the only one who thinks this is an odd combination of things to be buying? I'm sure she has a logical explanation for each thing on the list, and I'm also sure that there have been times when my items have looked odd to other people. I just sat there trying to figure out what she will do with all these items when she gets home.

Like I said, really I'm just nosey.


Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Which dwarf are you?

Because I ... I am sneezy. I do NOT know what is going on around here but I have seriously sneezed about 40 times in the past 2 days. And although I am known to exaggerate at times - this time I am not. Did something blow in with all this wind we are having? I am taking my allergy medication as directed but it's like I shouldn't even bother!

I want to thank everyone who left me comments the past few days, I really appreciate it more than you'll ever know. I'm having a hard time right now and it helps immensely to know that there are people out there who feel the same way.

Oh ... dang ... here comes another one! I better go grab a Kleenex ...

Labels: ,

Monday, January 7, 2008

Monday Again

How is it that the weekends go way to fast? It was a good one though ... Saturday I scanned in a jillion books and CD's into Delicious Library, i L-O-V-E that program! Then I went to knit with my friends at the yarn shop, got a lot done on my sock! One of hubby's friends was passing through town and came to stay with us on Sat evening, we had a good time and went to dinner. He had his puppy dog with him and he was such a cutie! Sunday we kicked back and I knitted some on a bag I'm working on and watched a couple of movies (you, me and dupree & just friends) and we went to the grocery store for a few things.

But now it is Monday and 7:50 am and it is time to get ready for work and I just simply do not want to go. Call it lack of motivation or laziness, I don't care. But I'm just burned out. Completely. I need to take a year off or something and just get back to me. But I don't know how to do that, I've never NOT worked since I became an adult. I'm afraid I wouldn't know how to relax. At least not for the first few weeks. I'm sure I'd figure it out eventually. I'm very concerned about money though, and I don't know how I would do not having a regular income. But ... seriously ... who am I kidding. I'm not going to be able to take a year off. That's a pipe dream at this point.

So, I guess I better go get ready for work now ...

Labels: ,

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Is there anyone out there ... anyone out there ...

Hello? People? Is anyone listening? I just wonder because nobody ever leaves me any comments. (Except Emily that one time when I posted my sock pictures, thanks Emily!) Am I boring? Or maybe it is just that I have such complete thoughts that there is nothing more to add. Heh, I think not. So lets have a show of hands .... who is out there?


Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas!

It's about 6:30pm on Christmas Night and it's been a great day! We saw all the family on Sunday and Monday so today was just a quiet day for the 2 of us. We woke up this morning and had some cinnamon rolls and then opened the presents :) We cheated a little and opened one thing each on Saturday. James opened his computer stuff - 2 new video cards and Windows Vista - and I opened my new camera!!! I love it and have already taken a zillion pictures. This morning I opened my new watch!!! So those are the 2 things I asked for and I got exactly what I wanted, I'm so happy! Then to top it all off I got a camera bag, a book about my camera, and 2 games. I also got some gift cards and my Mom's silver collectible spoon collection, which was really special. It's back to work tomorrow, at least for 3 days :)

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and a fabulous New Year!

Labels: ,

Friday, December 14, 2007

Close Up

None of my pictures from the Duran Duran concert really came out very well ... I only had my iPhone with me, I didn't think they'd let us bring actual cameras into the concert (but apparently they would cuz there were tons of people snapping away all night), oh well. I was moving around too much during the concert itself to have any of the guys that aren't horribly blurry - but I did get this one of the stage from our seats when they were setting up. So you can see how close we were to the stage!

Labels: ,

Thursday, November 22, 2007

It's a Thanksgiving Miracle!

So, I'm sitting here watching TV and something caught my eye out the window ..... SNOW. Seriously! It's snowing. Here. In Texas. On Thanksgiving. 2 days ago it was pushing 80 degrees. And now its snowing. Glorious, beautiful, fluffy snow. I just wanted to share :)


Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Her Name is Rio ...

I just got tickets to go see Duran Duran on December 12!!!!

I was so jealous of my friend Peg who lives in NJ and was able to go see them a few weeks ago. Then this morning I received an email from Ticketmaster saying that the pre-sale of tickets started at 10AM this morning if you had the radio station pre-sale code - which I did! Yay me :)

So I went on and got 2 tickets .. not really sure who will be going with me yet. Probably my friend Lisa, we went together to the last concert in Feb of 06. This will be my 4th time to see them .. pulling them ahead of all other acts I've seen multiple times. I've seen Rod Stewart and George Strait 3 times each - so this breaks the 3 way tie. Heh!

OK enough rambling about the kewlest band ever. Back to work ...

Labels: , ,

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Long Week

It's been a really long week for some reason. Since Tuesday I've felt like it was Friday .... that is never good. But on a happy note, I am about to leave work and go to my knitting group! And then tomorrow is REALLY Friday! I hope y'all have a great weekend :)


Sunday, September 2, 2007

With all the advances in technology ....

Why is it that lawnmowers are still so flippin loud?!

And why is it that you only notice them at 7:30AM on Saturday morning when you are trying to sleep. OR at 2pm on a Sunday afternoon when you are trying to nap.

I mean really, can nobody invent a quiet lawnmower? My car is so quiet that I sometimes don't even know its going unless I rev the engine. They are both gas powered. I just don't understand.

I would give $5 to someone who invented a noiseless lawnmower. If you do so, let me know.

Labels: ,

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Does anyone have Dr. Swanson's number?

I haven't had much to say lately, because I don't feel its right to blog about what's going on at work - and that is what is consuming my brain these days. Hopefully one day I can spill my guts here and talk about what's bothering me, but until then I'd like to just think happy thoughts. And one thing that gives me happy thoughts is going to this website every day and seeing the funny drawings this girl Natalie does. Many times they don't really make sense, except that they are silly. This one was from a week or so ago, and for some reason it made me giggle.


p.s. If you know what the title of this post refers to, then you rule!

Labels: , ,

Friday, July 27, 2007


I ordered a new laptop a few days ago and it needs to hurry up and get here! Patience is not my strong suit (hello understatement) and so I'm like those old Mervyn's commercials with the ladies standing outside the door before the store opens on the beginning day of the big sale, drumming their fingers on the glass of the doors chanting "Open. Open. Open." That's me. Except that I am doing it in the form of refreshing the FedEx tracking page for my laptop. Like that will make it arrive any faster. Shut up! I know it will, do not tell me it won't!

Of course it only makes things worse that the Mighty Mouse that I ordered to go along with my new MacBook has already arrived and is sitting there looking oh-so-sad and lonely just waiting for its new partner to arrive. Like it was sent ahead to scope out the new home to make sure it was going to be a loving environment. Well, it will definitely be that. I think I might even arrange a welcome home party for Macky when he arrives :) There will be streamers and balloons and cake and punch! It will be a grand affair, everyone will be talking about it for years to come. And they will all want to go and buy their own new MacBooks so that they can throw parties too. Ahhhh, what a wonderful thought.

Ok, its been about 2 minutes since I last refreshed the FedEx tracking page, so I better go do that now.

Update: The FedEx Gods must've been reading my blog because barely an hour after I posted this the doorbell rang and Macky was here!!!!! So, now I'm not interested in doing anything today other than getting him all set up and ready for his party. I love my Mac.

Labels: ,

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Good Lunch Today

I went shopping at James Avery during lunch today ....

To add to my snowflake, that I got for Christmas :)

There are several others I am thinking of getting, but for now I have 3 new charms to switch out on my necklace - yay!

I love shopping.


Monday, July 16, 2007

Potter Update

Because I know you are all absolutely DYING to know where I am in reading :) I am about 1/2 way through the 5th book. I think it is just possible that I might finish book 6 before my book 7 arrives on Saturday.

Also, hubby and I went to see the 5th movie on Sunday. It was phenomenal, I loved it. Want to see it again and again.

There, don't you all feel better now that you are updated? I thought you might.


Friday, July 13, 2007

Nose In A Book

I am a huge Harry Potter fan, and to celebrate/commemorate the release of the final book in the series coming up next Saturday the 21st, I am re-reading the previous books. I am about 1/2 way through book 4. This is not good! Books 4, 5 and 6 are all HUGE! And although I'm a fast reader, I just don't know how I will get through them all in the next week.

I haven't seen the 5th movie yet, we are going to go this weekend. One of my friends threatened to take away my Harry Potter fan card .... pshaw I say. It's not like I'm NOT going to see it, I just wanted to wait for a time when both me and hubby can go together. :)

So, that is what is going on in my world right now. I have to say, there are a lot worse problems to have. Happy Friday the 13th Everyone!!!


Monday, July 9, 2007


I'm ready for an adventure. You know, the kind that only comes when you totally and completely throw caution to the wind and do something that scares the crap out of you. It is only after surviving one of these times that you really know what you are made of. I've done this a few times in my life already and am grateful for each and every experience. I can't really say what this adventure will be quite yet, because the details are still being worked out. But I'm excited, it's gonna be a good one.


Friday, June 29, 2007

Random Word of the Day

Occasionally I will have a very random word pop into my head, usually when doing nothing in particular. This morning it happened when I was getting out of the shower. So, today's random word of the day is:


Now, when I thought of this word I wasn't really sure what it meant. I knew it was a name but couldn't recall much other than that. Of course that led me to Wikipedia and to learn more about this name.

Happy Friday everyone!

Labels: ,

Thursday, June 14, 2007

And here we go again

Another fun day in paradise here. Round 2 of layoffs happened this morning. Hubby and I are still safe, although this is quickly turning into the land of the very sad. *Sigh*


Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Seen & Heard

The elevator trip and walk out to my car today after work was a bit surreal ...

Heard in the elevator:
Woman: I've been having nightmares about candles.
Man: Ooh, like a big wax monster coming after you?

Seen in the elevator:
Woman (different one) eating a tomato like an apple.

Heard while walking into the garage:
Dude: And there was this piece of chicken the size of a dice and had 3 bones in it.


Friday, June 1, 2007

The Longest Short Week Ever

Here it is, finally Friday! Thank goodness for small favors. We had Monday off for Memorial Day so this was a 4 day work week for me, but still ... the longest week ever. I think that really, this week started for me LAST Friday when I worked from home. See, every year we host a big Memorial Day party for some of our family (there are entirely too many of them to have everyone over at once). It typically consists of Burgers, Dogs, Lots 'o Desserts, Visiting & Swimming. As was the case this year, but with the constant threat of a massive thunderstorm the entire time.

Friday I worked at home so I could wait for the new maid, we switched from Thursday's to Friday's and therefore had a new person. I like this lady, she's very cool and did a great job on the house as I can be a little picky at times. The yard guy was supposed to come later that afternoon to de-weed the flower bed, lay down fresh mulch, mow/edge, etc. But when he hadn't arrived by 4:15pm I called to see what was up. He was running late - and since I was supposed to be at a friend's birthday happy hour by 5:30ish I asked him to come the next morning. Well, wouldn't you know the next morning it was pouring down rain. And continued for several hours. So, he was delayed in coming but finally was able to get here and get everything taken care of and did a very nice job. The rest of Saturday I tried to rest and did a few little things to get ready for Monday.

Sunday was another story. My hubby is off on Sunday's so we went into overdrive mode. There was grocery shopping to do, party supplies to buy, and most importantly .... we had to clean off the back patio. There was a whole winter's worth of grime and gick. That took a while but we got it done, and it looks so nice now! With the proverbial promises made of never letting it get that bad off again. Come Sunday evening I thought we were in good shape and went to sleep feeling pretty good about the next day.

Monday morning I woke up a little before 7 and couldn't go back to sleep in anticipation of a house full of people arriving at 11 o'clock. You see, my biggest desire when people come to my home is that they feel comfortable and have a good time. And this desire makes me STRESS OUT COMPLETELY! Ha! However, pretty much as soon as people arrive then I'm all good. It's the anticipation of arrival that drives me insane. I'm sure it doesn't help that since the moment I was born it was drilled into my brain "If you're not 30 minutes early, you're late." Thank goodness my Mother is exactly like me and arrived at 10:59. But, backing up a little bit ... when I awoke at 7 and went downstairs, I took a fresh look at the house and realized I still had a lot to do! The kitchen had junk everywhere on the counters and the table was filled with magazines galore! So I spent the next couple of hours finishing the last minute things until 10am when it was time to shower and get dressed.

The party was a blast ... we had 19 people, the most we've ever had. The rain stayed away the whole time guests were here - thank you Mother Nature! We had plenty of food and drinks, the pool was delightful and I really think that everyone had a good time. There were no major issues, and only one minor one that was easily remedied. After the last person left, hubby and I both collapsed and took naps! Then it was time to get ready for the work week. Sigh, did I really have to????

The work week has been pretty typical of the last few months. Mostly chaotic and frustrating. Nothing horribly eventful has happened, which I guess is actually a good thing. Hopefully today will be quiet - and there's a happy hour after work so that's something good to look forward to. After all this typing I can't say I'm really sure what the point of this post was other than to just get all this information out of my brain to make room for other, less important things like the season premiere dates for the summer TV shows on USA and TNT. I can't wait for The Closer, The 4400, The Dead Zone and Monk to start back up. I love that these channels are giving us die hard TV junkies something to do during the summer ... you know, other than whining about how we have to wait til 2008 for new episodes of LOST.

I'll leave you with a most awesome quote my friend Diane texted me yesterday very randomly: Some people are like slinkies .... they aren't really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Happy Friday everyone!!!


Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Mock if you must

I fully realize that my music tastes are more "pop"-y than a lot of my friends. And I'm totally OK with that. Truth be told, I like things that make me feel happy. Music, Movies, TV shows, Books, Magazines, Web Sites, etc. I don't typically like to have to think too much. My brain, in its normal state, thinks too much about unhappy things in the world without help from any external stimuli. I use music/movies/tv/etc to distract my busy brain from unpleasantnesses and give it some focus on things that make me feel good.

I used to say that I liked Top 40 music, but lately I've realized that I'm too old for that anymore. I have a couple of friends who both listen to main Top 40 station here in DFW - 106.1 KISS FM - and they know all the words to all the songs, most of which I've never even heard of the bands! (like these names I just got off their web site that I honestly never heard of before about 2 minutes ago: frankie j, ying yang twins, chamillionaire, panic at the disco) I am more of a MIX 102.9 listener ... or the kewl station Jack FM - where they say they play what they want, but I think really they are crawling around in my head figuring out what I want to hear and then playing that.

My current favorite CD to play on my iPod is Daughtry. Yes, that Daughtry. From American Idol. I know that got a cringe from some of my friends ... they are silently (or not so much) mocking me. And I don't care. It makes me happy, I can sing along to it - and truly, that is one of the big pluses for me with any CD. I LOVE to sing, especially really loud and in the car. I'm one of those people you see driving along shamelessly singing to themselves and loving every single second of it. I've even been known to sit in my car in a parking lot or driveway and finish singing a song before I get out and go inside. Some other bands that I love to sing along with are The Fray, Maroon 5, Collective Soul, Kelly Clarkson, Dave Matthews Band, Hootie & The Blowfish and of course Duran Duran. My next CD will be the new Maroon 5 that came out yesterday. I am quite excited about that one. I've heard a lot of good things about it, I expect to not be disappointed. I'm also thrilled that Kelly Clarkson has a new CD coming out this summer AND I'm planning on going with my friend Susan to see Kelly in concert in September! That is going to be so much fun.

So, you may mock me .. or point and laugh, I really don't care. I like what I like, and I figure I'm old enough now to admit it and be proud. So there.

Labels: ,

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Superfluous Buns

I woke up this morning replaying this scene from Father of the Bride with Steve Martin in my head ....

George: I'll tell you what I'm doing. I want to buy eight hot dogs and eight hot dog buns to go with them. But no one sells eight hot dog buns. They only sell twelve hot dog buns. So I end up paying for four buns I don't need. So I am removing the superfluous buns. Yeah. And you want to know why? Because some big-shot over at the weiner company got together with some big-shot over at the bun company and decided to rip off the American public. Because they think the American public is a bunch of trusting nit-wits who will pay for everything they don't need rather than make a stink. Well they're not ripping of this nitwit anymore because I'm not paying for one more thing I don't need. George Banks is saying NO!

Stock Boy: Who's George Banks?

George: ME!

Now, I have no idea why this was going through my head right when I woke up. I don't think I was dreaming about it or anything. But a few things have always cracked me up about this speech ... "superfluous buns", the fact that there are big-shots at the weiner company AND the bun company, and how the stock boy is like "who's george banks?" .. hahahahha!

I swear I didn't have any spicy food before I went to sleep last night.

Labels: , ,

Monday, May 14, 2007

Happy Birthday Gus!

Yesterday was my car's birthday ... yes, I named my car. His name is Gus. After my grandfather who passed away March 22, 2003. His name was also Gus, August Gustav Christian Becker Jr. If that's not a German name, I don't know what is. That's why I named the car after him - he was a German guy, my car is a German car!

My little Gus was 2 years old yesterday, he came home with me on May 13, 2005 and I just love him. I'd wanted a Beetle for a while, and come to find out many people in my family had once owned Beetles, although I'm the only one so far with the new body style. The others were way back in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Anyhoo ... Happy Birthday Gus, I hope there are many more to come. And, I miss you Daddybear.

Update: 2 days after Gus' birthday he passed a milestone :)

Labels: , , ,

Thursday, May 10, 2007

My Brain is Weird

Here's a conversation I just had with a very good friend of mine on IM ....
and if you are a LOST watcher (if you aren't your brain must be broken) there is sort of a spoiler from last nights episode, don't say I didn't warn you.

Her: look at the red dude!
Her: that’s awesome
Me: he's all mad cuz ben shot locke
Her: haha
Me: and killed uncle rico
Her: poor uncle rico
Me: i know
Me: now he'll never make it to state
Her: haha
Her: I'm going to have to watch that again
Her: I was listening to Canned Heat on my way to work out last night...from his little "skit" and just started cracking up
Her: it does make me wanna boogie
Me: boogie oogie oogie?
Her: haha yeah
Me: til you just can't boogie no moare
Me: wow, what was that spelling?
Her: I dont know
Me: i guess i was thinking moar, like boar
Her: haha
Me: i mean it makes sense .... moat like boat
Me: moar like boar
Me: which means we should spell moast like boast
Her: hahaha
Me: (and toast)
Her: lol
Me: and there is also mode and bode
Her: wow
Me: munch and bunch
Me: oh but wait .... i guess technically there is a bore .. so i guess more is acceptable
Me: my brain is weird
Her: YOU are weird.

Labels: , , ,

Thursday, May 3, 2007

I'd forgotten how good ....

I got home from work today a little early so I could be here to wait for the pest control company's regularly scheduled visit and turned on the TV just as the movie Die Hard was getting going - McClane had just killed the first of the terrorists and threw him out the window all the down to land on top of the police officers car. Played by a pre-Urkel era Reginald VelJohnson - who, I thought, was a really good Robin to Bruce Willis' Batman.

I first saw this movie in December of 1988 at the dollar theater on a first date. I've seen it a bunch of times since then but not very recently, I am now sad to say. I completely forgot how awesome a movie this is! Its got some of the best movie lines ever written or spoken. It is also sorta surreal to see how we as a collective people viewed terrorists and how to handle them back in the late 80's. I realize its only a movie, but still ...

Bruce Willis was made for the role of John McClane. And although he played a bad guy in this particular story, I think this marked the beginning of my admiration for Alan Rickman (see, waaaaaay before he was Snape). I was going to post some quotes but there are way too many to have to choose from. So, I'm just going to encourage everyone to watch it again soon :)


Wednesday, May 2, 2007

That Old Man Must really be snoring loud

Yet another big storm, at least no tornadic activity this time. (like my fancy weather verbiage I get from TV?) Since it wasn't as bad I took some pics and a video!!! Yay for fun stuff :)

Dark clouds over the house about 2 minutes before the rain started.
Dark Clouds

The rain starts softly, and looks really cool in the pool!
And So It Begins ...

Gotta love the local weather reporting, they have to love springtime in Texas.
Radar & Van in Too Deep

Then I also took a short video with my camera during the most intense part of the rain.

We are all OK, no hail or damage. Just A LOT of lightning and thunder. Everything should be long gone by 9pm, which is very important ... that's when LOST starts. Whew.

Labels: ,

Monday, April 30, 2007


Today is Monday, the last day of April ... I don't have anything exciting to report or show. But I thought I would post a few random observances, thoughts, and other stuff so you won't think I've run off to the Bahamas.

  • I saw on the way home from work today, in the span of about 3 minutes, two Subaru 4 door El Camino type cars. I know it was two different ones because one was going one direction with a lawn mower in the back and the other one was parked in the post office parking lot. I can honestly say that before today I don't think I've ever seen one of those, much less two of them in 3 minutes.

  • Also on the way home today - actually before the Subaru Sightings - I was travelling next to Pig Pen's Truck. You know, Pig Pen from Peanuts? He always had a cloud of dust and dirt that floated around him everywhere he went. Yeah, well this truck had the same thing. A cloud of smoke/smog/pollution that engulfed it as it travelled down the freeway. It was great. Not.

  • These kids across the street from our house got and put together a basketball goal. I know that sounds like a normal kid thing to do. But these particular kids drive us both up the freakin' wall all the time! They are *always* outside playing IN THE STREET. I'm all for kids playing outside, but we've got 2 parks within blocks from our house. There is no need for them to play in the middle of the street. They are constantly riding their skateboards and stuff til nearly midnight in the summer. What happened to curfews? Also, when you turn down the street they don't really get out of the way. So, needless to say I'm not thrilled that they have a new street playing activity. Sigh ....

I guess that's about it for now. I have been crocheting, currently I'm working on a handbag (Diane has trained me well, we don't use the "P" word). I think it's going to look cool when it's done. I'm not using a pattern, just sort of making it up as I go along. I'll post pictures as soon as I have something that resembles a shape to show!

So, that's what's on my mind today. What's on your mind?


Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Let's Go To The Mall ..... TODAY!

How I Met Your Mother is a hilarious show on Monday's on CBS. I wasn't too sure about it when it was first announced, but I have to say that every week I watch it and every week it seems to get funnier. Barney is ... wait for it ... wait for it .... awesome!

This weeks episode was a rerun, which is usually a bummer, but this one featured a HILarious video from "Robin Sparkles" ... Robin's alter ego as she was known by her adoring fans when she was a teenage pop star in Canada in the 90's. As you will notice, the video doesn't look like its from the 90's ... but from the 80's. And as Robin explained to her friends, The 80's didn't come to Canada until 1993.

This video makes me crack up laughing every time I see it, so I had to share. Enjoy!

Labels: , ,

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Soundtrack of my Life

So, here's how it works:

  1. Open your library (iTunes, Winamp, Media Player, iPod, Rhapsody, etc)
  2. Put it on shuffle
  3. Press play
  4. For every question, type the song that's playing
  5. When you go to a new question, press the next button
  6. Don't lie
  • Opening Credits: "Taste The Summer" Duran Duran
  • Waking Up: "Bohemian Rhapsody" Queen
  • First Day At School: "There She Goes" The La's
  • Falling In Love: "Easy" Lionel Richie
  • Fight Song: "Let's Stay Together" Al Green
  • Breaking Up: "Can't Make You Love Me" Britney Spears
  • Prom: "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" Marvin Gaye
  • Life: "Hard Day" George Michael
  • Mental Breakdown: "She" Green Day
  • Driving: "Let You Down" Dave Matthews Band
  • Flashback: "Fly Like An Eagle" Steve Miller Band
  • Getting back together: "What A Girl Wants" Christina Aguilera
  • Wedding: "St. Patrick's Day" John Mayer
  • Birth of Child: "Two Step" Dave Matthews Band
  • Final Battle: "Are You Gonna Go My Way" Lenny Kravitz
  • Death Scene: "Sunday Mornings" Maroon 5
  • Funeral Song: "Hollaback Girl" Gwen Stefani
  • End Credits: "You're A God" Vertical Horizon

What's the soundrack of your life?

Labels: , ,

Friday, April 13, 2007

If this is any indication, we will have flowers a plenty next month.

This evening we had our first big Spring storm of the season. It freaked me out quite a bit. We didn't have too much rain at the house, but we did have hail - I'm going to say it was about the size of a quarter. It looked pretty funny plopping down into the pool :) There was a lot of rain in other areas though. Then the tornado sirens starting going off .... that's when I got scared. The kitty dude ran under the couch and the radar on the TV and Internet was purple right smack dab over the top of the house! The TV was reporting rotation in the clouds and tornado sightings in the area so I grabbed the laptop, phone, a couple of blankets and both kitties (Hubby's working tonight) and set up camp in the 1/2 bathroom downstairs. I kept the TV on so I could hear it and continued to watch radars on several weather sites. After about 15 minutes or so - and with some confirmation from a friend i'd been IM'ing with - I took a chance and came out. The kitties were quite uncomfortable in the close proximity and it was hot in that little room. After we came out and watched the weather on TV they did say there were a few confirmed tornado touchdowns, not reallllllly near to the house but close enough for my taste! I did hear that there was some damage around town and a couple of injuries but I don't think any of them were too serious.

So, we survived the first of several lovely Spring storms for the year that are famous here in North Texas. Yay! At least we got it over with ... and nice timing. Friday the 13th.


Saturday, April 7, 2007

What is that white stuff?

Early this afternoon as I was pulling out of the garage to go see a movie with a friend, and I noticed the most crazy thing. It was snowing. Here, in Texas. In April. They'd been saying on the weather reports that it was possible, but I never thought it was actually going to happen. It hardly snows here in the winter, and less than a week ago it was in the 80's. Now its not like it was a blizzard, or even sticking on the ground or anything ... but it was actual flurries. In April. In Texas. Mother Nature must be on vacation and left the weather duties to her less than responsible nephew Herb.


Friday, April 6, 2007

Fun on Friday

This made me laugh until I cried, enjoy!

Charles has a licking problem .......

Labels: , ,

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Difficult Day

It's all over the news now so I'm guessing its OK to blog about it. Today, the company I work for laid off 175 people. 100 of them in the home office where I am. I've never really been through a lay off before - it was weird, tense, nerve-wrecking, sad, shocking and upsetting ... but also a huge relief. We'd heard this was coming for a long time and there was tons of speculation about when, who, how, etc for weeks so its nice to have it finally over.

My job is safe, and so is my hubby's ...... my immediate team is also safe as is my hubby's. However, for those of us left standing now, everything will be different starting tomorrow. Hopefully for the better.


Tuesday, March 20, 2007


As I sit here procrastinating ... something I'm really good at ... these are the things I hear around me:

  • The hum of the refridgerator
  • Water trickling through the pipes
  • An airplane flying over head
  • A truck driving down the street
  • The whir of the ceiling fan

None of those things are very loud, I had to listen intently to hear them. I love how quiet my house is.

Leave me a comment and tell me what you hear right now ......


Friday, March 9, 2007

What's new?

Another week has gone by. I see people that I haven't seen in a while and they ask me "what's new?" and I have not much to tell them. Which, surprisingly to me, I'm sort of OK with.

For so many years of my life there was major activity, like for a 12 or so year stretch I think I moved an average of once every 12-13 months. I've been in my current house for over 3 years, which is the longest I've lived in one place since I was 18 years old. There are times when I am sad about not moving but mostly I'm glad not to have to think about packing my stuff in boxes and changing my address and phone number again. I got so good at turning utilities on and off that I could make all the phone calls for electricity, water, cable/satellite, phone, etc in under an hour. Which if you've ever tried to do that you know what a feat that is.

However, there are still parts of me that are in the constant relocation mindset. For instance, We've hardly decorated our house at all. There are very few pictures on the walls and no rooms are painted any different colors from when we moved in. I'd really like to decorate more, hopefully one day I'll get around to that.

I need to come up with a good response for when people ask me "what's new?" .... I guess I could say "nothing. literally. that is what's new, which is definitely something new for me."


Thursday, February 15, 2007

Jury Doodie - Day 2

We were told to report at 8:45 a.m. to the 6th floor of the Justice Building in downtown. I wasn't sure what the traffic would be like right at 8 a.m. on the freeway as I usually don't leave my house til 8:45 to go to work - so I left at about 7:45 a.m. and promptly got to the parking right next to the Justice Building at 8:05 a.m. Niiiiiiiiiiiice. What was I gonna do for 40 minutes. Oh well, better early than late. I parked (in a cheaper lot this time, yesterday was $15 .. today $7), and walked across the street and into the building. Went through the metal detectors and over to the elevator to ride up to the 6th floor. Then, the weirdest thing. The elevator started TALKING! It said "Going up?" I almost answered, before I realized it was the elevator. When the doors opened on 6, it said "Sixth Floor", I resisted the urge to say "Thank you" when I got off :)

There were a few of my fellow juror pool buddies there already, I grabbed a seat and began the process of waiting around. I tried to read some but people were talking around me, I tried to watch some of The Office on my iPod but felt people staring at me, I did play a few hands of cards on my phone though, that passed a few minutes for me. Every once in a while the baliff would come out and talk to us, answer questions, tell some silly jokes, check roll to make sure everyone was there, etc. This went on for quite a while, like over an hour. Come to find out later, its because the court reporter and defense attorney were trapped in one of the talking elevators! Anyhoo, one of the baliff's came out and started explaining to all of us what the dealio was going to be. We got new juror numbers, I was now #7, and we were led in to the court room in order to be seated in the gallery. Being #7 I was sitting in the front row - right smack dab in the middle, that was not really fun. To one side was a table with a man and woman, they both were dressed very smartly with laptops in front of them, looking at all of us as we walked into the room. On the other side was another table with 2 men, they were dressed less stylishly with no laptops in front of them - instead it was just a mass of papers all strewn about. The one that I later figured out was the actual Defense Attorney had, no kidding, a huge lime green plastic "Bubba Keg" mug sitting in front of him and he was making his notes with a bic pen that looked like it was taken from the local Holiday Inn. He also appeared to have no neck at all. I don't know if I'd be so jazzed to trust my future to this guy if I was on trial.

After everyone was led in and in their appropriate seats, the Judge came in and we rose for him and then seated. That's some power right there, to have people automatically stand up when you walk into a room. He was a normal looking guy, he came in and sat down and began to explain what was about to happen. He was funny, made a few jokes to warm up the room. He told us that when we were speaking we should stand out and use our loud voices so the court reporter (the one who had been stuck in the elevator earlier) could get all our answers on the record. He then went into much deeper detail as to what the qualifications were for serving on a jury - he had a whole big speech about how even if you were a kid and stole a Hershey candy bar from the 5 and Dime, if you were convicted and had to pay a fine that you weren't eligible to serve on a jury ... ever. And then, bless his heart, this guy behind me a couple of rows stood up to ask if that meant that he wasn't eligible because when he was 15 he stole a candy bar from "The Wal-Mart" and was caught, then having to pay a $7 fine to - he thinks - the police. He wasn't really sure where the money went. The Judge was so nice and patient with him, thanking him so much for standing up and asking this potentially embarrassing question in front of 60+ strangers. He eventually was allowed to go up to the Judge's desk and discuss this in more detail with the lawyers. He came back to sit down in his spot, so I'm guessing since he was a juvenile when it happened it wasn't going to count in this situation. A few more people came forward with questions about whether or not they were eligible - including one little lady who wasn't very familiar with the English language, she was dismissed. Some of the ones that went forward were dismissed, some were not.

Then the Judge went in to reasons people may be excused from jury service in general. Those were medical issues such as hearing problems, blindness, mental capacity, etc. A couple of people came forward and were dismissed. Then came the big news. This was going to be a murder trial! And because of that the length of time that would be needed to complete everything was a couple of weeks. So, the Judge asked if there was anyone that had any medical tests coming up or pre-paid vacations where they would lose their money if they didn't go or things like funerals, etc that would prevent you from being available during the next 2-3 weeks to come forward. And wouldn't ya know, I have a couple of doctors appointments coming up in the next 2 weeks that I really didn't want to change. I figured ... its worth a shot, so I went up and discussed with the Judge my situation and he said I could be dismissed. I asked if they'd like my doctor's phone number to verify my appointments, but he said no - that I was under oath and people typically don't make that kind of thing up (which I wasn't, I really do have those appointments). I was handed a yellow piece of paper with the Judge's signature and a note about being dismissed and told to go with the baliff to get further instructions. I was told to go back to the jury pool room from yesterday and see the lady in charge, give her the yellow slip and she'd give me a check (woo hoo! $46) and I'd be free to go.

I realize this is probably an anticlimactic story since I didn't actually get chosen for the murder trial jury. And although I'm very happy we have that system in place, I'm equally happy I didn't have to sit on that panel. I think I've watched too much Law & Order, CSI and John Grisham novels-turned-to-movies, because when the Judge said "murder" I immediately thought - oh man, if I get on this jury they're gonna come after me! Not to mention that the second guy sitting at the defense's table stared at the group of us the entire time, writing down notes on this piece of paper that had the "seating chart" of all the potential jurors. Every time someone would get up and leave for being dismissed he would systematically put a big black X through that spot on his chart. I really don't know who he was, but if he was the defendant and the one on trial for committing murder, I didn't really want to spend more time with him staring at me - just in case he did do it.


Jury Doodie - Day 1

I received a summons in the mail a few weeks ago for jury duty. This is the first time I've been called since living in this city/county. I was called twice when I made my residence in Houston, however one of the times I was in college and physically living in another city and an active student so I was excused. The other time I reported but never was assigned to a court, just sat in the jury room all day reading a book and was dismissed later in the afternoon with the thanks of the justice system.

I reported at 8:15 a.m. on Wednesday February 14th (Happy Valentine's Day to me, thankfully I don't celebrate that Hallmark holiday) to the Justice Center in downtown. I parked and walked in the freezing wind over a block and went in. Through the metal detectors and into a long line. A few minutes later the line filed into a big room, we had our summons scanned and picked up a plastic badge thingy to put our nametags in. I had been chatting with the man in line next to me so we ended up sitting next to each other. He was very friendly, about 50 I'd guess, and had done this before so I asked him all kinds of questions about what to expect. They showed this little "movie" of sorts with lots of clips from TV shows and movies depicting court room scenes - with everything from Law & Order to Legally Blonde and Liar, Liar - interspersed with past jurors saying how much they enjoyed serving the justice system in this very important duty of us citizens of the good 'ol U.S. of A. They also talked about what it meant to serve on a jury and an overview of what we could expect. It was very high school assembly-ish.

After everyone got there and checked in, we were given more information about what the day would hold for us, then we took an oath to answer all questions asked to us in a truthful manner, and then the people who thought they weren't eligible or should be excused formed a line in the front of the room to talk to the jury baliff and her assistant. This line was loooooooooooooooong. I was surprised. Especially since right there on the summons it explains the qualifications and exemptions and allows you to mail in a portion of your summons to where you don't even have to show up there if you don't meet all the criteria. Why would anyone drive all the way downtown, find crazy parking, walk to the building, stand in the line, listen to all the jibber-jabber, take the oath, etc just to then do what they could've done in the warmth and comfort of their own home. People constantly amaze me.

When that line was finished she began calling names .... 3 different sets of people were called and given court assignments. Then a very large group of names, around 50 or so were called. Those people were told that there were no more court assignments for the day and that they would serve as the reserve jury pool for that afternoon and that they could go hang out for a while and report back to that room at 1:30 p.m. They sort of grumbled and shuffled out the door to go find something to do for the next 3 1/2 hours. Well ... since we'd heard the jury baliff say there were no more court assignments left to dole out the rest of us thought we were home free! But alas, she started calling names again, another list of around 50. Those people were told they were the MORNING reserve jury pool and that they could go take a short break and report back in about 30 minutes. I was still sitting in my chair at this point ... thinking I had great luck and was going to get to leave and be done with it. Then they asked for 6 volunteers to go down and report to a city court (as opposed to the county court where we'd been summoned). After much cajoling, 6 volunteers emerged and again I thought I was safe. Thought being the term to focus on there.

Sometime in the few minutes those 6 volunteers were doing their thing, another court assignment came in. One that required 60 potential jurors to be called. I was lucky #24. We had to fill out a questionnaire for the judge and turn it in. Then we were told we had to report back to his courtroom the following morning at 8:45 a.m. and that we were free to go for the rest of that day. Yippeee!

To be continued on day 2 .....................


Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Art of Phlebotomy

I went to the doctor this morning to have some blood drawn for a cholesterol test. I love my doctor, in fact .. I drive 45 minutes one way just to go to her. (She used to be about 5 minutes from where I lived but then I moved and she branched out to her own practice - thus the monstrous distance between my house and her office.) I also like the people at the office, the nurse is fabulous and the receptionist is sweet. They had one phlebotomist a while back and he was alright, then they were without one for a long time. Well today when I went they had a new girl. I think she needs to go back to phlebotomy school. She was not very personable, I sat in the chair for a good 3 minutes and she didn't even acknowledge me until the doctor brought the paperwork that said what tests I needed blood drawn for. Then she gave me a hasty "hello" and went about gathering the vials and needle, etc without another word or glance. Oh wait .. she did say "What's your last name?" sorry that slipped my mind, it was probably the most words she said to me at one time. After she'd gathered her supplies she went to put the rubber tourniquet on my left arm - to which I politely asked if she would please draw the blood out of my right arm, since I'm left handed and my arm tends to be noodle like for several hours after I get blood drawn. She made a half-assed attempt to find a vein in my right arm, I even offered to her the location that I typically have blood drawn from - even at that very office in that very chair, several times in the past. She disregarded my suggestion while poking her finger at the inside of my elbow a few more times and then said "Give me your other arm". Nice huh? *sigh* .... So she put the rubber strap on my left arm, instructed me to make a fist, poked the needle in and drew the blood. It really wasn't bad, only pinched for a second like usual and the 2 vials were filled up quickly. I survived, and life will go on. But, it sure would be nice for those in the medical field to remember what its like to be a patient sometimes.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure she had on glitter eyeshadow ... I sure hope none of it got into my blood sample. That would prolly show up as really strange on the test results.


Friday, February 2, 2007

Winter Wonderland

It is February in Texas (as it is in all the other states too I guess) .... and for the past 10 years that I've lived in the Fort Worth area it pretty much snows at least once a year, and usually in February. So the fact that we had some flurries this morning is not all that odd. What IS odd is that in the 33 days we've had so far in 2007 today was the 4th time it has snowed.

Now, mind you - I lived for a spell in the 'burbs of Chicago so I realize that when I say "snow" and "Texas" in the same sentence, most people who have experienced ACTUAL snow would laugh at me. Saying that, I am in no way comparing Texas snow to any snow that falls north of the Mason/Dixon line. I am simply saying that the white stuff does on occassion fall from the sky here in the great state of Texas. But, I digress ... When it does snow here you'd think the world was coming to an end. 90% of the time, when we do get snow it doesn't even stick on the ground. It's more like fluffy rain :).

If it is a slow news day that is the top story on every channel's newscast. And it is usually called something terrific like "Winter Blast 2007" accompanied by some threatening iceberg graphics on screen. They also send all the poor little news anchor wannabe's in the stations employ out "into the field" to do some necessary reporting on the harrowing weather condition that has befallen the city. If it wasn't such a sad display it would be rather funny. Some young buck thinking this is his big break into the local news arena - he gets to cover snow falling! And he is so serious about it too. "Now we'll go on location with Skeeter Jones to find out exactly what is going on out there. Skeeter? ... Thank you Nancy. This is Skeeter Jones reporting to you LIVE from this empty Target parking lot where as you can see behind me the snow is actually falling as we speak. We interviewed several passers by to get their reaction to this crazy weather phenomenon and they all agreed, they've not seen anything like this since last Tuesday when it uh ... also snowed, uhm, pretty much like it is right now. But anyway, we will remain here LIVE and will get back to you immediately with any further developments. Nancy, back to you in the studio ... Thank you Skeeter, you stay warm out there now."

That is actually one of the reasons I don't watch the news.


Monday, January 29, 2007


Another Monday .... they make me tired. I wish I could work Tuesday through Friday and have Saturday through Monday off. Well truth be told I wish I never had to work :) We didn't win the lottery on Saturday night, so I guess it'll have to work at least a few more days.


About me

  • I'm scriggle
  • From Fort Worth, Texas, United States
  • I'm a 37 year old, left handed, aries, web designer, kitty cat mom, swimming pool fanatic, tv watcher, game player, knitter, seamstress, crocheter, aspiring photographer.
My profile

What I'm Doing

My Etsy Shop

My Flickr

Powered by Blogger